Protect Your Home While You’re Away For The Holidays
‘Tis the season to be jolly. If you have plans on traveling and leaving your home alone during the holiday season, we have some tips to make sure your house doesn’t become a target for any wet bandits looking to throw a damp blanket on your holiday spirit. Fortunately, with advances in technology, it’s easier and more affordable than ever to make your home safer.
Here are some tips to help you with home security this holiday season.
- Don't share your vacation plans on social media.
- Make your home look occupied. Use smart devices or light timers to turn lights and media devices on in patterns that match your normal routines.
- If you have more than one vehicle, make sure to leave one parked outside your home/garage.
- Lock all outside doors and windows before you leave the house.
- Keep your garage door closed and locked.
- Don't allow daily deliveries of mail, newspapers or magazines to build up while you are away. It could signal that you’re gone on vacation. Arrange with your post office to hold your mail, or arrange for a friend or neighbor to take them regularly.
- Check your locks on doors and windows and replace them with secure devices as necessary.
- Make sure you have deadbolt locks on all your outside doors.
- Lawn mowers, barbecues and bicycles are best stored out of sight.
- Always lock your garden sheds and garages.
- Have adequate exterior lighting. A motion-sensitive light is recommended for backyards.
- Trim trees and shrubs so they cannot be used as hiding places for intruders.
- Make sure your door hinges are on the inside.
- An alarm system is excellent for home security. It provides peace of mind to homeowners, especially while on vacation.
- If you have a home alarm system, use it! Activate your alarm system — alarm systems are only useful when you remember to activate them.
- There are a number of manufacturers of wi-fi enabled smart camera and doorbell devices at a relatively low cost. Consider installing one so you can monitor your home remotely and get motion detection alerts, doorbell alerts and vehicle & package delivery alerts.
Taking these steps can’t guarantee safety, but they can help deter crime before it happens. You should never take a trip without having a plan, and making security part of your plan can only help you.
If you’re going to be traveling this holiday season, be sure to call us at 1-888-797-7711 to report travel, so we don’t mistake your holiday fun for suspicious activity.
And if you’ve got a BancorpSouth credit card, be sure to sign up for credit card rewards! Learn more at https://www.bancorpsouth.com/rewards.
Sources: Memphis Police Department; Houston Police Department