Mortgage Payment Assistance
If you have been affected by recent storms or are having difficulty making your loan payments, BancorpSouth has a dedicated mortgage payment assistance team prepared to assist you. It is not necessary to use a third party or counseling service. We can help you determine which solution is best for you in a time of hardship, whether it be temporary or long-term circumstances.
We want to keep you in your home. Not taking action could result in the loss of your home, a negative impact to your credit score and keep you from obtaining financing in the future.
Beware of Foreclosure Rescue Scams
- Beware of any person or organization that asks you to pay a fee in exchange for a counseling service or modification of a loan.
- Beware of anyone who says he/she can "save" your home if you sign over the deed to your house. Do not sign over the deed to your property to any organization or individual unless you are working directly with your mortgage servicer.
- Do not make your mortgage payments to anyone other than your mortgage servicer without the servicer's approval.
The first step you should take is to review the options below and please call us at 1-855-269-2165 anytime between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. CT on weekdays. Talking to us is the best thing you can do for your situation.
Preserving Your Home
Being a homeowner is a dream you don't want to lose, but perhaps temporary circumstances have created a hardship. If staying in your home is your goal, you have options that include:
||A repayment plan is a short-term solution that allows you to get caught up on your mortgage with payments when you are experiencing short-term financial difficulty that is, or will soon be, resolved. If you have been delinquent on payments, this workout option will allow you to make regularly scheduled payments on your loan, plus repay a portion of the past due payments. In just a few months, your loan will be caught up, and you can return to making just your monthly mortgage payment.|
|Special Forbearance||Special forbearance is helpful when you are experiencing short-term financial difficulty that is, or will soon be, resolved. A special forbearance is the suspension of payments for a specified period of time. This option is helpful when you need a few months of lower payments or no payments, after which you will be able to afford your full monthly payment.|
|Modification||A Loan Modification is a change to the terms of your mortgage in order to cure a delinquency and avoid foreclosure. If you qualify, a modification may include reducing your interest rate, extending the term of your mortgage, and/or capitalizing the delinquent payments.|
|Reinstatement||If you currently are facing foreclosure, a reinstatement will offer you the quickest method for resolving your mortgage foreclosure. With your foreclosure resolved, you can enjoy the security of your home. The reinstatement amount is the total amount that is past due including late fees and Attorney costs.|
|Additional Options||There are other, less common options that may apply to your circumstances. Call us and we can discuss your personal situation.|
Relief of Debt
If you are not interested in maintaining ownership of the property, but are interested in full or partial relief of debt, the following options may be available to you.
|Pre-Foreclosure Sales (Short Sale)||A short sale may be appropriate if you can no longer afford to keep your home. You would sell your property for less than the outstanding balance of your loan, and turn over the proceeds of the sale to BancorpSouth, sometimes (but not always) in full satisfaction of your debt.|
|Deed-in-Lieu||You avoid foreclosure by voluntarily surrendering your property by deeding it to BancorpSouth as satisfaction of your debt. A deed-in-lieu is useful if your property has been on the market as a pre-foreclosure sale for three or more months and there are legal obstructions to foreclosure action. A deed-in-lieu allows BancorpSouth to take possession of your property sooner than would be possible through foreclosure.|
Please call us at 1-855-269-2165 anytime between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. CT on weekdays. When contacting us with mortgage payment assistance questions, please have your most recent tax return and proof of income (such as paycheck stub) available.
If you have concerns about the evaluation of your mortgage for foreclosure alternatives, then please contact our Escalation Case Unit at 855-269-2165, ext 7715. Any concerns will be reviewed by our Representative who will acknowledge your inquiry in writing via email, fax or mail within 72 hours. We will make every attempt to address your question(s) and/or concerns within 15 days from the date of receipt.
Would you like to consider additional resources?
- For help exploring your options, the Federal government provides contact information for housing counselors, which you can access by contacting the Department of Housing and Urban Development at portal.hud.gov or by calling 800-569-4287. In addition, this information can be found by accessing the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
- NeighborWorks® provides foreclosure solutions. Visit http://www.nw.org/network/neighborworksProgs/foreclosuresolutions/default.asp or call 1-888-995-4673 for more information.
- "5 Tips for Avoiding Foreclosure Scams" provided by the Federal Reserve. For complete details, visit http://www.federalreserve.gov/consumerinfo/